Tuesday, January 13, 2009

SOBI 2 Online Directory for Joomla

I am working on a website for our downtown merchants. They need an online directory of members so I chose SOBI 2 - it installed so easily and allows quick addition of categories....BUT when I got to the addition of members, the process is painfully slow.
I hate charging for data entry so I thought, right a quick little query to append members in the member database row by row. I use MySql Front so that should be easy right? Wrong.

Users are not represented as individual rows. Each piece of information is represented in its own row. So some users have 6 rows, some 12 rows and so on - depending on how much information you have on each.

Well I figure - someone else has come across this! So off I go to search Google Groups and Voila... an plugin - pretty cheap considering the hours it will save me on this project alone. (Under $100 CAD)
Took me about 30 seconds to buy, download and install and another 5 minutes to learn the software and upload the members.
I love it when an extension can be extended!

SOBI 2 http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/1113/details
Import Export Plugin: http://www.sigsiu.net/download/plugins/import_and_backup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment