Sunday, March 22, 2009

SOBI2 Customization

I have been working on 3 Joomla sites that have a SOBI2 business directory at the core. All of them needed customization

The BIA site needed only a custom look and images.

The Dental site need custom display to prevent viewing of contact information and details unless logged in.

The Mr. Bob site required 3 levels of membership: Free, Basic and Pro with Paypal subscription payments, many custom fields, and automatic expiry using the AEC - Automatic Expiry Component.

What a learning curve. All 3 sites will be launching this week - I still need to create the images for the BIA site, the dental site needs minor cosmetic tweaking and menu edits.

The Mr.Bob site was the biggest challenge. I found I could not have SEO turned on with the AEC plugin or all payment plans were disabled. Not so good - a paid community site nobody could subscribe to.
The next challenge was just offline planning - with all of the extra components and the three access levels.
All paid members can post ads, only pro members can post events and content. Free members can add simplified listings to the SOBI2 directory. All paid members get advanced listings but Pro members also get an image gallery and extra fields.

I eliminated all paid fields in SOBI2 because their a-la-carte style is kind of irritating.
All paid items are packaged in AEC. Then when editing their entry in SOBI2 the entry form does a database call to AEC to determine their plan id # and shows or hides fields for editing and submitting based on their plan level.
AEC also sets as Registered, Author or Publisher - other components are controlled by those levels.

Thanks to SOBI2 forum member k2xl for inspiring this solution through his Author name solution.
This is a huge amount of work and customization. Contact me if you want this for your site.

15 comments:

  1. Note: if you use the Download plugin in SOBI2, use RC2.2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very interesting and we are also trying to acheive the same. In our case, we need to have 2 subscriptions(annual and monthly) for SOBI2 listing with Authorize.Net as payment gateway. We have SOBI2 setup fully and have AEC installed. Now we are just wondering where to move forward from here. We can create the plans n AEC and associate the payment method as well but how we can link AEC and SOBI2 so they work seamlessly. How SOBI will know that users are paying from AEC and stuff .. your response will be very helpful to us. Thanks in advance .. you can reach me at smartidu[a t]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Great Job

    I need your help on this please provide me with some guide or code base to work on this

    mail me at hemal@pidex.ca

    Thanks
    Hemal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and something I am looking into at the moment.
    Please email the solution to infoelkins@aol.co.uk

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great solution...I am looking right now to find your email address :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like a bit of a SOBI wizard! I am very interested in how i could go about setting up the 3 subscription levels, sounds near exact to what I need to work out for the example site I am creating for my final degree project! If you could spare the time to give me a brief ouitline that would be great! :) any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

    Paul - pauldavidson(at)ntlworld(dot)com
    please get in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I'm working on a very similar project, two paid payment options plus 1 free. Choosing paymnet option allows to add diferent number of information when adding new position in SOBI directory.

    Please contact me on krzyhacz[at]gmail.com, if you could provide some more detailed informtion.

    Thank you
    Krzysztof

    ReplyDelete
  8. How much for you to set something like this up for my website? If you could port your solution to another website it sounds like some easy money for you and one less headache for me!

    Let's Talk!
    j{dot}batrouney[at]gmail{dot}com
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,

    I am a developer at eDevSoft and am working on a client's site who needs multiple payment gateways and multiple subscription duration/rates.

    Can you please help me configure it? thanks.

    edevsoft{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joomla Queen:

    Hi! Yes, it sounds quite likely that I'll be doing a very similar project too...you know, the Free/Member/Gold Member type setup.

    It sounds like quite a few people have hit you up for this information...would you mind getting back to me with some information on how to do this? It'd be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Josh

    josh(AT)moonlit-media(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello, i have show number of cities (which show the listing through SOBI) from AEC subscription Plans form. can u please explain this is possible or not??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi

    Great work. I can only imagine the hard work involved. Can you assist me in doing something similar please? My email is tayob.ashraf{at}gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi,
    I enjoyed your article. Its helpful. In sobi directory, I want to use different payment gateway other than paypal. Can you please assist me.
    Thanks.
    web@citymediamarketing.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. e gustaria poder implementar esta solucion sobi2 en mi sitio, necesito que los usuarios puedan ingresar anuncios gratis y uno pago pero integral no por campo pagado. Gracias y como puedo comunicarme contigo.
    scriptscenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI i have installed sobi2 and its working fine...now what i need is, i want to display the entries in the frontend one by one as one in a row...how can i do this ?

    Suggestions or solutions welcomed to anand.netsimage@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete